Chips & Hardware
Blue Origin plans New Glenn flight before year-end
Blue Origin CEO Dave Limp says the company plans to fly its New Glenn rocket again before the end of this year, despite a recent massive explosion.
Blue Origin plans to fly its New Glenn rocket again in 2026, according to CEO Dave Limp. Speaking on Monday, Limp announced that the company intends to return to flight quickly following a recent incident at its launch site in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Limp stated that more of the launchpad’s infrastructure was in better shape than expected after the incident. He also noted that another previously flown booster stage at the complex, along with three of the rocket’s upper stages, appear to be in good condition. “We will fly again before the end of this year,” Limp said.
The company has not yet determined the cause of the massive explosion, which stands as the largest and most visible failure of the company’s history. The incident occurred during testing at the Cape Canaveral, Florida site. It follows a previous flight in April—the rocket’s third mission—where the upper stage suffered a failure, resulting in the loss of a customer payload belonging to AST SpaceMobile. Blue Origin was preparing for its fourth launch, which was scheduled to carry satellites for Amazon, though those payloads were not yet on board and were not destroyed.
The timeline is critical as NASA relies on New Glenn for its planned series of Artemis missions, NASA’s moon exploration program. Industry observers assumed it would take until 2027 for New Glenn to launch again, given the potential damage to Blue Origin’s only active launchpad capable of supporting the rocket. By comparison, competitor SpaceX recovered in a matter of months after a Falcon 9 rocket exploded on a launchpad in 2016, though SpaceX had a second pad nearly ready at the time. Blue Origin is currently building a second launchpad at Cape Canaveral, Florida, but that project remains in its early stages.
To support the Artemis program, Blue Origin had previously shifted its focus, announcing in January that it was pausing space tourism flights on its smaller New Shepard rocket for at least two years. New Glenn first launched in January 2025, where the booster stage exploded on its way back to Earth despite a successful upper stage orbit. A second launch in November successfully put two Mars-bound spacecraft into space and landed the booster stage on a drone ship. Moving forward, Limp noted on Monday that the company will change how it carries and stands up its rockets, moving away from its previous “transporter-erector” system.
Why it matters
Blue Origin is attempting an aggressive return-to-flight timeline for its New Glenn rocket following a major explosion, a critical move as NASA relies on the vehicle for upcoming Artemis moon missions.